Teaching History and Highlights by Course
@Southern Polytechnic State University
- IT 4153: Advanced Database
- IT 4203: Advanced Web Development
- Fall 2010: design a website and put
examples live on the web; designed a personalized project to
guide students explore their own interests; resulted in great
- IT 4423: Linux/Unix Administration
- Fall 2011/Spring 2012: used Ubuntu on VMware for lectures and exercises. Saw
great student projects on various Linux/Unix topics of their own
- IT 5101: Introduction to Database Systems
- IT 5102: Introduction to Information Security
- Fall 2011: continue to use the student presentations mixed
with lectures. Used SPSU as cases in identity management, password
policy, and security policy.
- IT 5301: Introduction to Programming
- IT 5302: Introduction to Web Development
@Georgia State University
- CIS 8040/3730 Designing and Managing Data
- Fall 2010: added intensive in-class guided exercises which got
good feedbacks; used the online discussion boards intensively for
class communication, which generated close to 500 discussion
messages for the semster; enjoyed another good evaluation (4.8/5.0); used
SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.
- Summer 2010: this is my first online class; used Elluminate
Live; upgraded to Visio 2010.
- Fall 2008/Spring 2010: designed
a multi-part database design project which runs throughout
the semester; designed student research project and had nice student
presentations; used SQL Server 2005/2008 as a DBMS tool.
- CIS 8020 Systems Integration
CIS3270 Web Application Development with Java
designed a whole new course website based on JSP/Servlet,
as a live website example; applied a domain for it
(cis3270.jackzheng.net) and left all course
- Spring 2006/Summer 2006: developed mini-projects, which are
logically connected as parts of a bigger project, and redesigned
the term project to be more student interest driven; saw great development work by students.
- Fall 2005: This is the first time I taught web development and
Java - my favorite; adopted Oracle JDeveloper.
- CIS2010 Introduction to Computer Information Systems
- Fall 2009/Spring 2010: Introduced a set of Google
services (Google Docs, Blogger.com, Google Visualization, etc.) and
other Web 2.0 applications for assignments and projects; set up the
from News" blog site; started a video collection for
teaching and shared them via YouTube.com.
- Summer 2008:
This is a night class in summer. To stimulate interest and energy, I
designed a student research and presentation project, with presentations
and discussions mixed with lectures. The class got very good feedback
from students (4.8/5.0). This is the class that both students and I enjoyed
- Summer 2005/Spring
2005/Fall 2004/Summer 2004:
had IT related news analysis and discussion in most of my class